Sep 8, 2010

Australian "Backyard feature" films and other stuff...

In the past twelve months I have been witness to the unveiling of many an Indie Aussie flick. They're not Hollywood, no sir. They are the blood, sweat and tears of our young film industry. If they were a movie themselves, we'd see them appear in slow motion clawing their way up an incredibly steep hill, reaching the top... and roundhouse kicking you in the face.

These films have come from the hearts and minds of my fellow film makers Jake Reedy, Dicky Tanuwidjaya, Andrew Thatcher, Joshua Long and many others. These films are each special in their own right. They aren't your typical "Kid in the backyard with the family camcorder and sticks for swords" type film makers... they're just like you and me. I believe, judging by the quality of their work, that they have big dreams of being the best at their craft... or at least, one of the best. I've never had the pleasure of meeting any of these guys, but I'll be damned if I doubt their drive!

Each of these directors has given me ideas and strength to step up my own game. When I first saw their work, I almost gave up. I wasn't going to compare to them. But something about the way they worked, the way I could relate... made me change my mind.

You know the old saying: If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em!

I want you to open a new tab in your browser right now, navigate your way to Youtube... and search these names. Search their names, or the films they've been working on. Tell me you don't see the potential, the skill... the DRIVE in that work. Can you smell the sweat? That's how hard these guys worked.

So look up the following, on Youtube and Facebook:
Tin God
Axed
The Devils 6 Commandments
Loyalty
Charity Hurts

What I would give to have the skills of these guys. Thank you all for helping me understand that I need to step up my game, and 'grow some balls' when it comes to my film making.

No comments:

Post a Comment