May 8, 2013

Shooting For The Stars

I tend to save my "personal life" for my personal Facebook wall, and for the most part just those I trust that are close to me. But the truth is; as is the case for a lot of us, personal life is what shapes us into the people we are and who we become.

I've been through a bit of a ringer these last few months, mostly at fault of my own... but I've learnt from it in many ways. It was a journey of self discovery. I learned that I put my trust in people who don't prove their worth to me, and that I allow myself to be distracted from my hobbies too much.

In the last few months I've given serious thought to where I want to be in 10 years, and what my company means to me. I know I can't support a family by being a low budget film maker and no day job, and my life will no doubt find itself with a wife and kids. It's on the cards, and I welcome that with open arms. I thought about all the things I can do with my company, rather than just make my own films... I thought about some of the things I've always wanted to do, and that was support young film makers. I know, if I'd had the support of an established film maker at my age... I'd definitely be a lot more active than I am now. That said, I've supported myself... and I've come a long way. But sometimes you need that little bit of support from someone who believes in you. I want to be that guy.

I think it'll start small. I'll make my own films, produce promotional material for businesses... do basically what I do now, but on a bigger scale.
- Wedding videos that will still be affordable (but more expensive than what I do now) with a more cinematic take on them.
- Short form and feature films of my own, garnering funding from local supporters and kickstarter backers, as well as government funding.
- Helping young film makers develop their ideas into film scripts, develop their scripts into reality. Produce their films, give them the skills and gear they need to complete that film.
- Provide production services, editing and small film crews for indie film making productions.

It's a wild dream, and it's a very very big goal... but they say "Aim for the stars, shoot for the moon". That's the wild dream. I have no idea how to get there, but maybe the journey of self discovery will help with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment